I’d like to tell you about my copy of Fly Baby. In this article I will describe its construction and my competition with it in detail)
First I'll provide you with some characteristics:

It is an American airplane homemade in 1962.

Length: 18.83 ft (5.74 m)
Wingspan: 22.0 ft (6.71 m)
Wing area: 188 ft2 (19.24m2)
Empty weight: 652 lb (295 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 970 lb(440 kg)
Maximum speed: 100 mph (162 km/h)
Cruising speed: 90 mph (146 km/h)

Here is a little bit about the history of this aircraft if you are interested in it. I did it with the help of these drawings, which I had found in a magazine about modeling.

I made an engine mount frombeech wood, side frames from plywood 3mm wide, rails from the pine.

Threaded metal plates were pasted into the engine mount (for engine mounts SED) and then I taped the whole
thing with graph paper.


I sheathed the wiring duct with balsa and covered it with mica tape. Cowl made of foam, covered with PVAC
before jacketing, so that enamel is not corroded by foam. I made a cut in the engine for the tank.

I made a case from a jar ofcoffee and led the gas drain pipe at the bottom.
It is important for the tank and the supply pipe of the engine to be on the same axis!

The elevator and horizontal stabilizer are also made of pine rails. XPS foam (insulating) is pasted into the
stabilizer and the face and ribs are made from balsa.


The ribs on the wing of the aircraft are made of millimeter plywood and the face is sheathed with millimeter
balsa. I made the edge of the wing from rails, as I needed to bend them at an
angle I soaked them and then fixed them with to the doodle and left them to
dry.

Landing gear legs is made from dural. I made the axis, drilled them and riveted.
I made CCS for mounting racks from brass and reinforced the place of attachment
and attachment wings with plywood panels.
Center wing made of foam and covered with the fiberglass top.
All struts are made of duraland sheathed with balsa. I made CCS from galvanized sheet and fixed it to the
sides.

I sheathed fuselage with kraftpaper (the kind of paper cement bags are made of).




The whole plane I upholstered with mica tape, there is additional mica tape on the ribs and paper on the
tail, cut with special scissors made of bolts (this makes the edge picot).
The upper part of the nose is made of foam and sealed with automotive putties (but it's heavy and all other
parts are covered with homemade putty consisting of dope and talc. As it
sags, I had to do it several times).


I made the hood of hard foam and then covered it with fiberglass, engine models made of balsa.
In some places I pasted celluloid.Welded or joining are imitated with thread and rivet places are covered with thin tube (made of a drip bag if I am not mistaken).

Now it is time to paint.... I've been thinking about it and decided to make a white line first as to cover red
paint with white you need to apply a very thick layer of paint. then I used red and finally yellow. I used nitrocellulose paints and an aerograph.


The hood is mounted on one screw and the pins in the engine mount, the screw and pins are
pasted in copper tubes, exhaust pipe made of celluloid is covered with a layer
of epoxy stout.



Small gas tube was made manually (adjustable cross-section of the exhaust port and fittings) and it
looks like this:


In this photo you can see the outboard tank. The system is as easy as a piece of cake, I was quite happy with
it. Wheels 70 * 28 discs are made of plastic and I was not entirely happy with them, so I added the brass sleeves.
The rear rack is made of tin,the wheel is plastic and thus it is difficult to cover it with paint (



I would like to draw your attention to the fact that there are pads on the steering wheel. I have already
talked about this in the text above.

Rigging wires are made of nylonyarn, and then coated with dope and aluminum paint


The cockpit:

I made the dashboard from celluloid with a transparent bottle under it.




Ahahah, it is the night before the championship of Ukraine and here I am sitting in the hotel and fixing the
wing, stretching it, doing an imitation of silverfish chips and scuffs,
checking the documentation =)





With this aircraft I participated in all-Ukrainian contests and competitions among CIS countries
Here are my achievements in aircraft modeling. I wish everyone great success in the construction of models, I hope that my article has been helpful to you.
This is the translated version. You can read the original Russian article here.