It was September 2012 when I felt I was ready to build a biplane- an aerobatic one, not a trainer. With a 1,400mm wingspan, it took me a lot of work to build what you can see in the picture.

I started with the wings. The plane features 3mm ribs, a 10x3mm spruce spar (number 1), and a balsa spar (number 2); a 6x6mm spruce leading edge and a 15x6mm balsa trailing edge. The front is covered with 2mm balsa.


Assembling the center section of the lower wing

Mounts for outerwing panels are made of a piece of 4mm construction veneer!



Cut ailerons out of the wings and build the hinge mount panel.

Finish the ailerons.

Cut die bars out of a piece of wood laminate, with which you are going to glue wingtips and curved elements of the tail empennage.

Glue parts made of a piece of 10x0.5mm veneer sheet with epoxy in a sandwich-like fashion (eight layers).

Assembling empennage



This is my first attempt to build the fuselage out of balsa leftover

I quickly realized that I should have used a different assembly plane. The second time: I built the formers from construction veneer, because there was no more balsa.




Building the lower wing and empennage. Now the whole thing looks like an airplane.

Stringers are made of 10x3mm balsa planks

After covering the fuselage with balsa, I applied forced drying. I used a USA-made glue only, and it is similar to the Russian white glue.



2mm duralumin gear legs are mounted to a plywood platform.

Cover the front of the fuselage with 3mm balsa and the side of the cowl – with 2mm balsa.






Mount balsa brace struts with a spruce plank. I had not planned to build a sectional airplane.

Mount servo cradles and tape the plane.


I made die bars for the front of the cowl and the canopy out of an idle piece of balsa.


I built the canopy using the bottle technology, out of a 5l polyethylene bottle. Also, I used sausage tape as a separator when gluing the front of the cowl.

The material, which I used, were the remains of bed sheets of an unknown origin. I can say that the fabric stretched well and wouldn’t wrinkle. I used white glue for the first two layers and epoxy for the third one.


Now that the power unit and other necessities were mounted, the flight weight totaled 3,780g!



We test-flew it yesterday, those were our first two successful flights with an attempt to perform an aerobatic maneuver.


This is Alexander Andreyevitch Ognev - the man to who I’m very grateful for transporting the plane to the field, general support and participation. Here he is with the Pitts right after the very first landing!
This is the translated version. You can read the original Russian article here.