Hello, dear friends! I’m here to continue yet another thread on big and lightweight model aircraft. This time we replicate the legendary Yak-3 war plane.
Let’s go. Once again, I decided to use templates for papercraft models, like I did when crafting my Little Bee. АN-14 Pchelka: lift-off and crash+9
Dec 24, 2015, 1:18:59 PM | Aleksey Zelenin Novoaltaysk
Article http://www.rcfair.com/blogs/view_entry/13028/
Here are the drafts http://only-paper.ru/load/aviacija/istrebitel/jak_3_jak_3_wak_4_2011/3-1-0-641 and another one -
These are the drafts I’m going to rely on as I build my aircraft. Materials: a 5mm piece of foam laminate flooring underlayment, glue (mostly Titan), acrylic paint.
Now that I have printed it all out, I have to do a lot of thinking and measuring, and everything seems to fit.

I placed it all on the flooring underlayment, cut out elements and glued some of them.
next thing I made was the fin-tail.

I glued together all parts of the fuselage, glued in the fin; unable to resist the temptation, I weighed it (332g).

I decided to pay attention to the exterior and the cockpit.

I made a dummy for the canopy and tried to mould it; although it was flawed, I put it in its place anyway. Later I'll remake it using a vacuum hold-down. It will be easier that way.

Then I got around to the wing – nothing new; I used fishing rods, etc. to connect parts. You can see all that in the pics.

As long as all this glued stuff dries, I take my little ‘sandwich’, which I made earlier of bedding, cut out wheels and paint them in the same old acrylic paint.

Then I cut a motor mount and a battery compartment out of a piece of plywood and glued these into the frame.

Well, the only good aircraft model is one featuring a pilot model!

First, I wanted to make exhaust pipes out of the underlayment, but I felt too lazy, and I had made too many of them out of a thermo-shrinkable. This is how they look unpainted:

I glued in the wing and began to paint it from the bottom.

I left it to dry and made a spinner out of a piece of extruded polysterene foam – a material commonly used for that purpose. As to mounting it, I did as it was usually done in small foam planes – set it on a neck with a cover from a Tetra Pak bottle. One with a bigger diameter would be better, but there hadn’t been any. I glued in the cover, clutched it with a drilling machine, bored it out and colored it with acrylic paint.
Finally, I modified the canopy. I molded in on a vacuum hold-downout of a PETG sheet, and that was much easier than using a bottle. Then I painted the cockpit, put the pilot in the seat and glued in the canopy. I used Titan. Before gluing it in, I had awled it along the perimeter.

Then I started painting it. First, I painted the plane itself, then separately decorated the pipes and glued them in. This is what it finally looked like.

Well, that’s it. However, the spinner and the tail-fin were a miss. I have no idea what made me want to color them like this. I’ll fix that later.

Here it is ready to take off :-)

This little video sheds light on who is who

Finally, I styled the spinner and the tail-fin Normandie Niemen, which I and my hobby mates found better.

That was the end of my mission, since my plane was packed and a 'flight box' was ready. I mounted servos, retracts, etc., and tuned and test-flew it.

Here are test-fly vids, everything was all right except for some minor settings. I'll test-fly it again and share a better video.

This is a better one

Now the equipment
I use this kind of engine:
HobbyKing Donkey ST4010-820kv Brushless Motor
Product http://www.rcfair.com/en/product/103719/
And the rest of it (I recommend a 50-60А controller):

TGS Precision Sport Propeller 17x10
Product http://www.rcfair.com/en/product/1083083/

Turnigy nano-tech 4000mah 2S 25~50C Lipo Pack
Product http://www.rcfair.com/en/product/1082149/

Let's call it a day, dear friends. I hope to see you again in my new project. Wish you have happy flights and soft landings!

This is the translated version. You can read the original Russian article here.