Hi, I would like to show you yet another kid's-stuff little monster. I drafted it a long while ago and made up my mind just now...
Now a little foreword. Our colleague – Dmitry Dzyadook - has already presented this kind of aircraft. Mine is a little different. I had two leftover depron sheets, which I had bought 5 years before. Besides their strangely varying thickness ranging from 2.2 to 3.2mm, they were all scratched and chipped due to their age. I felt sorry to throw them away, yet I could hardly find a good use for them. So, I decided to build an indoor paper plane. I a sort of made one out of a school exercise book sheet, except it was about six times larger. Building it is no big challenge. I cut out four parts: two vertical central elements and outer wing panels. Then I temporarily connected them and laid it out on the table. Then I painted it. The result was a little too horny. I tried to draw a school exercise book graph pattern with a blue marker, but it would be smudged by the fingers. I used thick dark-color markers, as I had decided to draw the pattern anyway. I took two steel one-meter rulers, put two pieces of hack saw blade between them and sprayed it with a painting gun. That was dull, but after two hours I finished it. I also wrote an equation on it from an eighth-year maths textbook and even solved it myself (how come had not grown too dumb to do that!) Then I glued it all at appropriate angles and reinforced the foam with carbon rods. Most interesting, I had to figure out the right position of the center of gravity. I went the simplest way. Before cutting out rudders and installing the rest of equipment, I gathered a bunch and off we went to the corridor to hand-launch it. I had to load the nose with a piece of clay, and it would fly all the way along the corridor. I marked the center of gravity and noted it when installing equipment. However, it was bow-heavy anyway, so I had to use extension and move the receiver back to the very tail. It featured a Turnigy 1811 brushless motor, 1800kv. It had been lying idly about for quite a while too. Thrust was not much at all. A 8x4 prop would not go. I used a lightweight 7x3 prop and it would hammer away at it with no visible effect. But I wouldn’t expect much from that little thing either. I simply glued servos to the foam. The push rod is connected to the control horn with a flexible heat shrink joint. A YEP 7A ESC is useless too. I've never made it work with such small size motors, although I tried various settings using a programming card… As a result, there was 80g of empty weight. But it did fly. And that was all I expected from it. During flight or, to be exact, it was a naughty boy with any center of gravity position.






The flight..


This is the translated version. You can read the original Russian article here.