Hi everyone!
As I was taking another break from work I decided to spend it effectively and build another piece. It took me a while to select the prototype, I thought about a Boeing 737, an airbus, and even an L-39 Albatros. Finally, I dug in my box with components and found a brilliant draft for an A-319. That was it for the choosing.

The low budget could provide me the following:
Ceiling tile, white packing tape, and a bit of balsa just for reinforcement, retractable sysstems for landing gear, and Hobbyking struts.

Scale: 1/25
Length: 128 cm
Wingspan: 134 cm
Weight: a little more than 1 kg with a 3c battery
No technical innovations or complex mechanisms, it is all so simple and somewhat boring.

I don’t really want to comment on each photo, and the plot feels too thin:




I sanded it and whited out the seams using correction fluid. Next I got down to what I’d never done before – the retractable systems.




As you can see in the pic, I used nylon pull rods, because they wouldn’t block retraction. Then I put the landing gear it in its place. Because the prototype featured a slightly tilted front strut, there were no problems, as it would not protrude from the fuselage.


Now the tail. I used a three-layer vertical stabilizer and a two-layer horizontal one.


The altitude control rods and the rudder rodss are concealed inside the fuselage just for better appearance. I made the rudder rods out of a paperclip, and the AC rods – out of a piece of insulated wire (used for heating walls in monolith buildings). I placed the servos as far back as possible for better balance, because the nose turned out to be heavy.




I covered the entire fuselage with adhesive tape. I chose not to picture the taping process. I used the common white tape, which you can see galore in utility stores. As I taped it, I’d use an iron set at its coolest. Then I washed it with Fairy to remove glue from the tape and prevent dust from sticking to it and forming dirty lines along the seams.

I made consoles and decided not to fix ribs, although I had already made them. To reinforce the structure I inserted and glued in a full-length spar, which I had made of three layers of ceiling tile.
Now the retraction. I attached a piece of plastic ruler along the bottom edge of the tile. It looked quite reliable to me, and I thought it wouldn’t break during landing.



I had to move the retraction as far from the trailing edge toward the nose as possible, because it was too big and would protrude above the skin. That had zero influence on the position of the landing gear in relation to the ground, because the prototype’s gear was placed a little backward.

I had planned to use Hobbyking struts, but there was a problem: the strut was tilted and it would provide zero shock absorption. Any impact would tear the entire mechanism out. I considered different solutions, but I was too low on materials to come up with something worthwhile (I spent an entire evening trying to figure it out). Finally, I made struts out of steel wire. They did provide some amortization and I thought they would hold it.



Please, don’t worry about a little weird position of the wheels: I had to bend the wire a little before picturing it.
There are two lamps on each side: red and blue, and strobes. Too bad the Hobbyking pack does not have the glint mode.

After hours of tedious thinking I decided not to use mechanic flaps, and I fixed them at a 10-degree angle instead. I did so because I liked to fly airliners at a low speed, so I had had to fix flaps at 7-10 degrees in all my previous planes, even though there had been a little mechanization. Second, I wanted a lightweight plane. If I had used mechanic flaps, it would have been at least 60 g heavier.

I reinforced the pylon with a piece of 4 mm balsa, and there are pieces of ceiling tile at the sides


No need to focus on engine nacelles: just three layers of ceiling tile, white adhesive tape, and silver sticky tape, which is used on cars. Well, I pretty much failed to fit it all in one kilo. The total weight is 1,176 g, and it includes all servos, two engines, transmitters, and a 2.2A 3c battery. I think another 50-70 g will come with a battery compartment and adhesive tape on the wing.
Wing loading: 52.17 g/dm2; including the stabilizer - 45.59 g/dm2

The windows and the letters are made of car tape. There are fewer windows than in the original plane. I’ll also cover the belly with grey tape and place red fins on the wings.
Why Utair? It’s simple: I had only blue tape. This company has never used L-319. Now it has one:)


Let’s go fly it!

Materials and components:
Ceiling tile: about twelve 50x50 cm sheets. I don’t remember exactly, and I was not thrifty when cutting out parts.
Three rolls (30 m) of white adhesive tape.
Impellers: 2 pcs

HobbyKing™ 50mm Alloy EDF 4800kv (3s Version)
Product http://www.rcfair.com/en/product/402560/


Speed controllers: 2 pcs
TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller w/BEC
Product http://www.rcfair.com/en/product/2164/


Servos: 5 pcs
Turnigy™ TG9e Eco Micro Servo 1.5kg / 0.10sec / 9g
Product http://www.rcfair.com/en/product/9549/


Navigation lamps Aircraft Navigation Lamp Set
Product http://www.rcfair.com/en/product/543334/


Retractable systems: 3 pcs
Digital Servoless Retractable system (1pc)
Product http://www.rcfair.com/en/product/101843/


A front strut from this set:
Alloy Oleo Strut Set with Anti-Rotation Link and Wheels 3mm Pin (Trike)
Product http://www.rcfair.com/en/product/1127220/
<br class="block_preview_product mceAtomic" style="display: inline-block;" />
NO EDITING. THIS IS A CELL PHONE FILM!!!!!!


I got a little too much altitude, lost speed, got a tilt and, finally, an ultimate tailspin. Everyone who was there rushed to catch it lol. What had been the nose now was more of a pignose!


Nose rebuilt
This is the translated version. You can read the original Russian article here.